Are you getting a real CHARGE out of your laptop?

Is computing meant to be an electrifying experience?

I was truly shocked! I admit that I am rather stoic when it comes to pain. I recently felt a light stinging sensation from a laptop, but I was busy, so I ignored it. I didn't realize that anything was wrong until I had already received several second-degree burns. Your mileage may vary.

The shock problem is NOT limited to Dell.

In fact, you can get a shock from just about any make of laptop, if you are using it while it is plugged in to AC current with an ungrounded adapter/charger.

What to do? Ask for an AC charger/adapter with a three-prong grounded (earthed) plug. Then plug your laptop into a correctly-wired receptacle.

If you cannot obtain a grounded charger, then avoid letting your skin come into direct contact with the outside of the laptop case while it is plugged into AC power.


(Also at Fort Hard Knox.)

No comments: